• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 2, 2019

    Crusader Kings The Best Way to Play the Abbasids

    Crusader Kings The Best Way to Play the Abbasids


    The Best Way to Play the Abbasids

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 06:09 AM PDT

    This feels worse then the incest achievment

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Moray! Moray! Moray! ISLAND!

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 07:43 AM PDT

    Now this is what I call Caesaropapism

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 05:00 AM PDT

    Worrying? I'd be grateful!

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    Bit harsh

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 12:43 PM PDT

    Is this... even legal in CK2?

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 06:07 AM PDT

    What a loser.

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 04:04 AM PDT

    The new Monarch’s Journey - Llywelyn II, the Great

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 05:56 AM PDT

    Accidentally cucked my son without him knowing and now my newly adult "grandson" is looking like a better fit for heir than him.

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 02:43 AM PDT

    I unknowingly prompted a dalliance between me and my son's wife when I sent him into hiding after his older sister (who I married off to a different kingdom) plotted to kill him. This is still my second playthrough and I got curious since that event failed during my first, so I didn't really expect anything to happen.

    17 years and 4 more "grandchildren" later my grandson now has land in Aquitane, is a steward to the king of Aquitane, inherited some good traits and attributes thanks to being tutored by me, got a decent amount of prestige and an army, and will likely inherit my petty kingdom and a duchy from his mother's side.

    As an 80-year old king I'm pretty much ready to die, but now I'm conflicted since my son is still relatively young and is kind of average compared to my "grandson". Do I just get rid of him? I heard it's difficult to kill your children without getting directly involved. And I do feel kind of guilty that I cucked him 5 times and made his wife my lover and making her hate him in the process, but he still has good opinion of me because he wasn't aware that any of it happened.

    To add some further irony, my son and his wife decided to name their first born after me, which makes it even more hilarious.

    submitted by /u/SwordoftheMourn
    [link] [comments]

    Life hack: play without Horse Lords so the Aztec Empire can't invade

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    Richard the Lionheart's Dream

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Poor Man

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    Players who are Religious Christian/Jew/Muslim etc do you find your faith affects how you play?

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    Does it affect who you are more likely to attack? Are you as a Muslim/Christian not a big fan of wiping out your Religion in game instance?

    submitted by /u/Crusading_Canadian
    [link] [comments]

    Current state of my 2-Player MP Campaign

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 02:53 AM PDT

    Every time when you just want to be some duke and chill...

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 10:58 AM PDT

    It would

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 04:20 PM PDT

    Poor little guy.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    The most important is to have dreams

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    Let's Talk; Mana, Currency, EXP in CKIII

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    Let's Talk; Mana, Currency, EXP in CKIII

    Intro

    So with CKIII's first dev diary we are starting to get some info on the core design philosophy that will be with us in CKIII. I decided to hold off comment for a few days and let it digest. However as I let it sit I realised we are seeing another trend from Paradox that honestly isn't needed in CK; no it's not the dreaded "mana" as I don't see any that seems to exist. No I see an EXP System entering the fold.

    Quick Definitions

    MANA

    First off let's look at the term mana, it's origins exists in Polynesian language as a term for "prestige and power from a supernatural source". In English it is commonly associated with game design as a way to limit the use of skills that are constant, it is generally earned at a set or near set rate with some control given to the player but generally capped either soft or hard, Political Power, Monarch Points (and Faction Influence (Stellaris). Mana is NOT currency, which in game design is anything that is controlled soley by the "economy" and the "game master" be that the designer of a video game deciding taxes rates in CKII, or a game master deciding loot drops in a Pen and Paper RPG. While Paradox has a tendency to use it to abstract things in EU IV/HOI IV/Stellaris they seem to have learnt from EU R... I mean Imperator and are not using this frankly over relied on system. (Which from a game design point has been superseded by many alternative mechanics).

    EXP

    In contrast to mana EXP is gained by the player by doing actions that the Game Designer deems "good" or "worthy". Again this is always an abstraction of actions that define character. While not the same as mana they are also a good way to create a sense of progression in a game, sure your character or empire is weak at the start but they can become walking gods by the end! Pride and Accomplishment Achieved! You generally don't loose EXP though this isn't a hard and fast rule but it does allow for permanent bonuses to be placed on a character.

    Design

    This is more personal but I define Good Design as any design that achieves what the designer wants, if a designer seeks to make a mana simulator then Imperator was a brilliantly designed game, if they wanted to make an indepth-character driven game they failed. Only the designers really know what they set out to do but good and bad design for me stands in contrast to to Engaging/Disengaging design. I'd use immersion but they're not quite the same, many games are immersive, break the fourth wall or never try to "draw you in" but are engaging, so much so that you may even get immersed as a side effect. I believe CKII is one of those games.

    CKIII

    DD One

    For me CKIII's first dev diary is mixed, and it's mixed right down the middle. The first half is brilliant, and shows a great understanding of what I think makes CKII great (note that I said I, not "the community" or "the developers"). Rich in-depth systems that encourage engagement and build up the world as a "real" thing. Then we get to renown...

    Fig. 1 Dev Diary One

    We have the quote from the horses mouth above, it's a resource, but what kind? Currency, Mana or EXP? It's... complex because Paradox have muddied the water with another resource called splendour.

    Splendour

    From what we see however I'd say that Splendour fulfils the role of "non-spendable experience" we can infer this from: " Regardless of if Renown is spent or not, the Level of Splendour won't decrease. " The bonuses it gives are permanent and stay with us, they also seem to be earned via renown and possibly some other routes I've missed/not been revealed.

    Renown

    https://preview.redd.it/708ko31upaw31.png?width=1144&format=png&auto=webp&s=8e530e30c4d8bee42c781a7763a082d3bb14b916

    As I mentioned earlier Paradox has muddied the water of renown but splitting it off from Splendour we can deconstruct it. It seems to be an experience system with elements of mana. It uses the "supernatural power" of having more "X Resource" to allow you to presumably claim and disinheriting "because x resource" rather than say, having to make a plot or approach the Pope to give you the claim, it's a simplification and streamlining of an already existing system and a replacement with a mana system. In this regard I lied earlier.

    However it also acts as an EXP system in that you may unlock legacies using EXP rather than say forging them like in CKII. Again this is another streamlining of a more complex and rigid system but this is not a good or bad thing. It's simply a change.

    Okay Guardsman but what does this mean?

    My conclusion is that if the decisions made in this area are consistent with the overall design philosophy of "Player Control" this ties into the "Player Freedom" logic they put as their design vision. I use control because it's more neutral than "Freedom". At it's core this means that players have more direct involvement in the game.

    So then... .... ha anyone else noticed Imperator Rome has the same core design philosophy as CKIII.

    Pitchforks till after!

    I think Paradox has dramatically missed what made CKII good was not "painting the map" but the "stuff to do when there's nothing to do". It was getting the claim that was the fun, you send two chancellors that get murdered by the 25 intrigue count but you're in too deep, so you go to the Pope to get a claim, so you send him gold and go on a Crusade so he likes you more! YES YOU GET THE CLAIM, only for your character to die invading the count in a random duel against a bind cripple. Notice how in CKII there is no "abstraction" in there it is all here is currency, here is me doing an action for you to make you like me more, here have Christ's foreskin. Players do not have control or freedom so they need to look for alternatives, they need to work for the goal that makes it so much more sweeter.

    I think this is what separates CKII from Imperator and even EUIV were map painting is... a thing you can do for some Political Power and 60 days...

    Only time will tell if Paradox goes down the "spend EXP to make character traits a thing because Player Control" design logic but they've definitely gone for Mana and EXP for Dynasties. That's a concerning thing for me to see.

    submitted by /u/CadianGuardsman
    [link] [comments]

    "Delicate balance of power"

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    Ah, yes, a classical

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 09:59 AM PDT

    Legendary Set

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 03:47 AM PDT

    A blessed image.

    Posted: 02 Nov 2019 06:10 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment